[p2p-hackers] Real-world UPnP stats

Greg Rolan greg at capepaterson.com
Sun May 7 23:45:56 UTC 2006

Hi Alex,

Maybe I'm telling you something you already know, so forgive me if this
is obvious to you - but it's recently new to me.  I've been using the
sbbi-upnplib (www.sbbi.net) to provide uPnP support for our client and
hit a problem whereby our office DSL router would return 200's etc. but
would not actually map ports or return valid data for the external
address etc.  This was odd as the software worked for other devices we
had tested on.  After some debugging & tracing with the sbbi guy we
solved the issue.

It turns out that this router advertises both an IP device and a PPP
device, and while both devices advertise the requisite WAN services and
respond correctly to the requests, it is only the PPP device that
actually services the requests (and our code only used the IP device by
default).  Depending on how you have coded the uPnP support this may be
part of the issue.

Anyway, if this is new to you, I hope it helps.

regards,

Greg.