[p2p-hackers] paper "rarest first and choke algorithms are enough"

Arnaud Legout Arnaud.Legout at sophia.inria.fr
Thu May 4 16:49:08 UTC 2006

Hello Bob,

Bob Harris wrote:
> Personally, I don't get these "X is enough, no need for Y"
> claims for software
I am not not talking about software, I am talking about algorithms.
I do not want to refrain anybody to implement a P2P client based on
network coding. I am simply
providing new information on the dynamics of the rarest first and choke
algorithms and I point out misunderstanding
on the dynamics of these algorithms.

If you want to implement a P2P file transfer client based on network
coding go ahead. That would be nice to have a real client
that can be experimentally compared to BT.

> back. The two cases mentioned below (even though they are not
> in steady state) seem like ample justification for coding.
Yes, there are tons of justifications to implement a client based on
network coding.

Regards,
Arnaud.