Big hype on small worlds. (was Re: Dijjer and Freenet (RE: [p2p-hackers] clustering))

Bob Harris bob.harris.spamcontrol at gmail.com
Mon Mar 20 23:55:45 UTC 2006

I thought we went through this fruitless discussion on what
constitutes a small world already. I use the term in the same sense as
Barabasi, Strogatz and Kleinberg. Kleinberg is the only one who has a
tight, formal definition (albeit in a highly idealized grid), but if
that's too restrictive for your taste, I'm happy to include any
unstructured overlay where the edges are selected at random and the
number of edges per node is relatively small in number.

I didn't know what a clustering coefficient was. I looked it up and it
seems like a pointless metric. If you are lumping CAN/Chord/Pastry
with Gnutella/Freenet, you are doing something wrong.

Bob.