Big hype on small worlds. (was Re: Dijjer and Freenet (RE: [p2p-hackers] clustering))

Daniel Stutzbach agthorr at cs.uoregon.edu
Mon Mar 20 22:09:43 UTC 2006

On Mon, Mar 20, 2006 at 02:00:50PM -0800, coderman wrote:
> i should distinguish between unstructured small worlds (what i've been
> calling small worlds) and highly structured overlay small worlds
> (CAN/Chord/Pastry/etc).
>
> where's Zooko's p2p ontology page? :)

That's an important distinction.  I'd suggest you say "unstructured"
instead of "small world" then, because the Chord, Pastry, and company
are more small-world-ish than unstructured overlays like Gnutella.

(specifically because they have a much higher clustering coefficient
than Gnutella)

--
Daniel Stutzbach                           Computer Science Ph.D Student
http://www.barsoom.org/~agthorr                     University of Oregon