Big hype on small worlds. (was Re: Dijjer and Freenet (RE: [p2p-hackers] clustering))

Daniel Brookshier turbogeek at cluck.com
Mon Mar 20 21:14:32 UTC 2006

I'll chime in. In the P2P world, O(log^2 N) may not be efficient, but
it may be the cheapest in terms of resources. For instance, a walker
may take a while to find a resource in a small world topology, but it
expends little effort at each node. Conversely, to attain fewer hops,
that also means a larger resource at each node to index and process
the index queries. There are also ways to use the hubs in such
networks to greatly improve efficiency.

The small world is also not necessarily the complete network or only
topology available to an application. The number of hops in a search
is not the same as a the number of hops that may be applied to
communications. Thus even when one part is inefficient, the other may
be ideal.