Dijjer and Freenet (RE: [p2p-hackers] clustering)

coderman coderman at gmail.com
Mon Mar 20 19:15:28 UTC 2006

On 3/20/06, Serguei Osokine <Serguei.Osokine at efi.com> wrote:
> On Monday, March 20, 2006 Oskar Sandberg wrote:
> > Phase transitions are a very common phenomenon in the study of
> > random graphs.
>
>         Interesting. Is there any way to predict these things in
> advance and stick to the networks that do not have this problem?
> I mean, running the simulations with the number of nodes increasing
> all the way into millions is not the best method of assuring the
> future network operation. Among other things, your simulation might
> simply miss the phase transition for whatever reason.

anyone have further insight on predicting the distribution or nature
of phase transitions in arbitrary graphs?  i haven't turned up any
good papers, but i haven't looked that hard yet either.

in particular i'm interested in the node degree distribution and what
effect this has.  (it seems that some number of nodes of sufficient
degree are needed to achieve state transition in any reasonable sized
graph; sparse and randomly connected nodes are much less likely to
exhibit this behavior.  i'd like to find a formal study of this
interplay)