[p2p-hackers] clustering

Jeff Rose rosejn at gmail.com
Fri Mar 10 10:08:57 UTC 2006

It seems like people are always putting arbitrary restrictions on p2p
systems and simulations in terms of connectivity, but is this really
necessary?  Unless you are trying to use NATed nodes (assume we can
punch or route through a neighbor),just about any pair of computers on
the internet can be neighbors.  In essence the internet is a fully
connected overlay graph.  All DHT's and other less-structured schemes
are doing is deciding which links to send messages down.  So when you
talk about "links existing" you just mean that a given pair maintains
some amount of regular communication, or just that they know of each
others existence in the network?  Maybe since you are coming from the
freenet side of things connectivity has a lot more meaning than in other
schemes?

-Jeff