[p2p-hackers] clustering

Ian Clarke ian at locut.us
Thu Mar 9 03:19:33 UTC 2006

On 3/7/06, Ranus <networksimulator at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hui Zhang has published a paper
> named "Using the Small-World Model to Improve Freenet Performance". It
> should correspond to your idea, so maybe you could read that.

Be careful of this paper.  If I recall correctly, most of their results can
be attributed to the fact that they ensured that links existed between
adjacent nodes in the graph, which obviously would have a dramatic
beneficial effect relative to a network where local links may be missing as
it means that in the worst case you will do an exhaustive search for the
node you are looking for just by following local links.

Our findings, as presented in Oskar's thesis, are that Freenet-style edge
selection results in the desired degree of clustering without "artificial"
help.

Ian.