[p2p-hackers] NATs reconfiguring IPs and Port Numbers

Eric Hopper hopper at omnifarious.org
Thu Mar 2 22:54:07 UTC 2006

On Thu, Mar 02, 2006 at 02:44:33PM -0800, coderman wrote:
> if you are using a lot of traffic or endpoints, verizon, comcast, and
> other providers appear to roll your endpoint more frequently.  i've
> got a friend on verizon FiOS who gets an endpoint roll every few score
> minutes (few times per hour) when running a large number of torrents.

I wonder if that kind of behavior is one of the reasons IPv6 isn't being
rolled out much by ISPs.  It would make doing that kind of thing a lot
harder.

I think though that consumer level NAT hardware might have some sort of
limit on the number of mappings it can keep in memory and apply to
packets though.

*sigh*,
--
"It does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods or no God.
It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg."  --- Thomas Jefferson