[p2p-hackers] NATs reconfiguring IPs and Port Numbers

coderman coderman at gmail.com
Thu Mar 2 22:44:33 UTC 2006

On 3/2/06, Lemon Obrien <lemonobrien at yahoo.com> wrote:
> It seems port numbers change after a certain amount of time due to the local
> NAT or local ISP, and the peer to peer application has to re-configure
> itself to find out what its new global address is...and broadcast that to
> others so they can re-connect; does anyone know what the average time is a
> port number is good for? I'm getting up to 24 hours testing through Comcast
> and SBC; but i have to sleep so...i'm not sure on this number.

the longest time i've experienced on a dynamic address assigned DSL
connection provided by verizon using a linux 2.6 based NAT is 4 months
continuous.

if you are using a lot of traffic or endpoints, verizon, comcast, and
other providers appear to roll your endpoint more frequently.  i've
got a friend on verizon FiOS who gets an endpoint roll every few score
minutes (few times per hour) when running a large number of torrents.

i'm not aware of a thorough analysis of provider and NAT behavior
under varying conditions but this would certainly be useful to track
over time.