[p2p-hackers] ease of use in a decentralized communication system

K.S.Sreeram sreeram at tachyontech.net
Mon Jun 26 19:29:00 UTC 2006

Wes Felter wrote:
> Directories (e.g. key servers) have obvious privacy problems; I prefer
> the object-capability style where it is impossible to know that a user
> exists unless you have been specifically introduced. (Of course in any
> social network you will have the Marc Canters who want to crawl the
> whole thing, but oh well.)

I'm planning to make the public key registration with the key-server
completely optional, so that users who really want it, can just manually
email their public keys to each other.

So you can be pretty much completely invisible. Even people who try
crawling the entire DHT can just know what public keys are available in
the system, but they wont know which user the key belongs to.

Regards
Sreeram