[p2p-hackers] Real-world UPnP stats

David Barrett dbarrett at quinthar.com
Tue Jun 20 10:05:56 UTC 2006

Ah, ok.  I was thinking a multicast M-SEARCH *was* SSDP, but its just
semantics.

Regardless, I wonder how far you could get just by just hard-coding the POST
URL to /upnp/service/WANIPConnection; is there some standard that mandates
that URL, or is it merely coincidence that all the NATs I've tested with
have it set this way?

Incidentally, what have you found works well for AddPortMapping?  Do you
wildcard RemoteHost and/or ExternalPort, or re-open specifically for each
intended peer?

Perhaps I misunderstand, but it'd seem ExternalPort *must* be wildcarded for
the NAT to function (else two apps or machines would fight for the same
external mapping).  RemoteHost could be set explicitly each time, but that
would fill up the port-mapping table pretty quick for a P2P app.

-david