[p2p-hackers] Real-world UPnP stats

Alex Pankratov ap at hamachi.cc
Mon Jun 19 18:53:43 UTC 2006

David Barrett wrote:
> On the topic of UPnP, does anyone have any advice on whether to use the
> IUPnPNAT interface in Win32 versus going straight to the UPnP layer?

Stay as far away from IUPnPNAT as possible. This bundle of joy tends
to randomly fail perfectly valid requests with undocumented return
codes. It also depends on SSDP service, which is frequently painted
as a major security hole and therefore scares users off.

> As I understand it, IUPnPNAT is a wrapper/helper atop the lower-level UPnP
> interfaces.  Is there any advantage to going with the low-level route versus
> sticking with the helper?
>
> Alternatively, Alex, how difficult did you find it to write your own UPnP
> code from scratch?

It took me a couple of days to write everything from scratch (zero
external dependencies), but that clearly depends on your development
style and experience.