[p2p-hackers] Real-world UPnP stats

David Barrett dbarrett at quinthar.com
Mon Jun 19 08:13:22 UTC 2006

On the topic of UPnP, does anyone have any advice on whether to use the
IUPnPNAT interface in Win32 versus going straight to the UPnP layer?

As I understand it, IUPnPNAT is a wrapper/helper atop the lower-level UPnP
interfaces.  Is there any advantage to going with the low-level route versus
sticking with the helper?

Alternatively, Alex, how difficult did you find it to write your own UPnP
code from scratch?

And finally, does anybody use UPnP for anything other than NAT port mapping?
Can you, for example, query a gateway's realtime bandwidth usage using UPnP
somehow?

-david