[p2p-hackers] Merkle Hash Trees + live stream

Wes Felter wesley at felter.org
Tue Jun 13 00:38:17 UTC 2006

(Strange; this message was sent on May 18th, but I just received it
on June 12th.)

On May 18, 2006, at 9:31 AM, Luigi De Donà wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I would like to use a type of Merkle Hash Trees for verifying the
> integrity
> of a live stream delivered using an application level multicast
> distribution
> tree.

I found a bunch of academic work related to this topic under the
keyword "multicast data origin authentication". Several of the
proposed techniques use hash chaining.

http://citeseer.ist.psu.edu/challal04taxonomy.html
http://citeseer.ist.psu.edu/723894.html

It may also be worth using ECC instead of RSA/DSA to sign the Merkle
tree roots for better performance.

I haven't heard of any P2P systems that use such techniques, so good
luck.

Wes Felter - wesley at felter.org - http://felter.org/wesley/