[p2p-hackers] Work on NAT-friendly DHTs?

Luca Piccarreta piccarre at elet.polimi.it
Fri Jan 27 12:25:19 UTC 2006

Hi Dani,

> I know that a lot of you guys don't like one taking reference to the
> Skype network, because it is closed source. But according to the
> reverse engeneering done on it's protocol, the Skype guys happened to
> solve this problem. OK, they introduced a supernode level and natted
> peers have to be connected to them but still, they even pass through
> quiet hardcore firewalls by using common ports like the http port 80.
> That's what I'd like to have in a peer to peer framework: the user
> just doesn't have to worry about beeing natted or not. I guess there's
> not a single strategy to solve this issue, but quiet a bunch of it,
> like UDP AND TCP hole punching, UPnP device discovery and so on...
I think Skype does exactly what I said, a flat P2P network between non
natted peers,
and a relay/udp hole approach between natted peers.
I think that Skype really worries about having phone calls not relayed,
but I think
that natted peers do not contribute to users lookup (actually I think
that users lookup
is handled by Skype servers, and the whole P2P stuff is just a relay/udp
hole opener framework)

> I suppose that in the future the share of unnatted peers will even
> decrease, since during the transition from IPv4 to IPv6 will increase
> the need to NAT devices. And which p2p networks are going to run then,
> when you call natted peers a problem and don't have a solution for it?
... what about Skype then?
About my "no solution"... I'll stick with Kademlia, I'll follow
the same Skype approach, I'll try and keep the traffic so low that even
super nodes won't have much to complain, and I'll try and see what comes
next.
Even with this very dumb approach natted peers will be able to store
data, to
be contacted, to search for data. They will use the DHT, they won't
contribute to it.

I see the DHT network as a graph. some nodes are connected, some nodes are
not. Some nodes can be connected through UDP holes, some nodes can not.
But opening  a UDP hole it's worth it *only if the traffic that is going
to flow through
the UDP hole is much greater than the traffic required to open it*.
In the case of Kademlia searches, IMO, this last assertion simply
doesn't hold.

Luca.