[p2p-hackers] Actual availability of P2P systems

Wolfgang Müller wolfgang.mueller at wiai.uni-bamberg.de
Wed Jan 4 14:03:07 UTC 2006

Hi all,

I am aware of literature evaluating online times of single peers in
structured/unstructured networks. However, I do not recall to have come
across a paper that investigates the availability of the whole network in
large fielded applications. I think it is improbable that there are no
measurement studies answering my question, and I would be interested in any
pointers I can get.

My main question is:

How often does it happen in existing P2P netowrks that significant parts of
the network are really unreachable?

How high is the percentage of requests that fail (in the sense that they
return a faulty result) in existing fielded DHT applications?

Looking forward to your replies,
Cheers,
Wolfgang

--