[p2p-hackers] Secure communication in p2p networks

Alain Damiral alain.damiral at student.uclouvain.be
Mon Feb 13 17:51:13 UTC 2006

Thanks, (and to Matthias also)

So here are some extra details about my project... What I am trying to
achieve is rather simple. I'm using OpenSSL but instead of letting it
send data directly over a TCP stream, I feed the data back to the
peer-to-peer middleware. I'm basically moving SSL/TLS's transport layer
one level up. This can be done as long as the actual transport of
messages accross the network is reliable. This allows for secure
communication between two peers much in the same way SSL usually does,
without having to trust any intermediate peer in the network.

The most exotic aspect of my work is that the p2p middleware I am
working with is written in Oz (hello Oz coders !) while the OpenSSL API
is defined in C.

Simple end-to-end TLS enabled channels can already give the user some
modest solutions for group communication, if a symmetric key algorithm
is available. This can be done by having a service responsible for
providing peers (if they can be authentified) with a shared secret key,
that he can update regularly.

However I believe that it is possible to design a protocol that would
achieve something more efficient and maybe stronger. I do not intend to
support such a protocol in my work, but if something exists or is being
researched today, I would like to mention it in my written report :) So
it is absolutely not critical for my project.

Once again, thanks for the help !

-Alain