[p2p-hackers] ANN: CompTorrent: Applying BitTorrent Techniques to Distributed Computing

Brad Goldsmith bcg at utas.edu.au
Thu Apr 13 05:51:22 UTC 2006

Hi All,

	Just a plug about a idea that I am pursuing as part of my research in
P2P.

	The abstract:

	"This paper describes 'CompTorrent', a general purpose distributed
computing platform that uses techniques derived from the popular
BitTorrent file sharing protocol. The result is a grid swarm that
requires only the creation and seed hosting of a comptorrent file,
which contains the algorithm code and data set metrics, to facilitate
the computing exercise. Peers need only obtain this comptorrent file
and then join the swarm using the CompTorrent application. This paper
describes the protocol, discusses its operation and provides directions
for current and future research."

	Its a departmental technical report and is available here if anyone is
interested:

	http://eprints.comp.utas.edu.au:81/archive/00000270/

Cheers,
Brad

---

Brad Goldsmith
School of Computing
University of Tasmania, Tasmania, Australia
Homepage: http://www.comp.utas.edu.au/users/bcg/
Office: Launceston Campus, Computing Building, V-177
Telephone: (03) 6324 3389 International: +61-3-6324 3389
Facsimile: (03) 6324 3368 International: +61-3-6324 3368