[p2p-hackers] Bounty for Open Source Trust System

Emin Gun Sirer egs+p2phackers at cs.cornell.edu
Tue Apr 11 21:00:32 UTC 2006

Let me interject two factoids to make sure no myths are propagated:

 - The current Credence implementation uses explicit feedback. There is
   no reason why you couldn't use implicit indications of trust, if
   your application had such indicators. It turns out that there are
   no such good implicit indicators in p2p filesharing - sharing a file
   is not a good indicator that the user would vouch for that file. Our
   paper has the details.

 - Credence computes a "very multidimensional" trust metric for each
   participant. Unlike Google's global page rank, Credence conceptually
   computes a separate trust metric for each peer from the point of
   view of every other peer. So X might rank high and be trustworthy
   for Y, but not for Z.

Best,
Gun (& Kevin).