[p2p-hackers] Hard question....

Daniel Stutzbach agthorr at cs.uoregon.edu
Mon Apr 3 03:49:33 UTC 2006

On Sun, Apr 02, 2006 at 02:34:43PM -0700, David Barrett wrote:
> > Saturation is the goal.  Wasted bandwidth is bad.
>
> Well, yes, but I'm asking "how do you measure how much bandwidth is
> currently being wasted by other applications, and then only use that
> amount"?

That is not actually the right question, because the answer is
typically "None or very, very little".  TCP's goal is to achieve
saturation and not leave unused capacity.  If you try to measure the
"available bandwidth" that TCP leaves behind, you're not going to have
much to work with.

Your app need to grab its "fair share", which means implementing a
congestion control policy that plays nicely with TCP.

--
Daniel Stutzbach                           Computer Science Ph.D Student
http://www.barsoom.org/~agthorr                     University of Oregon