[p2p-hackers] Hard question....

Bob Harris bob.harris.spamcontrol at gmail.com
Sat Apr 1 23:26:44 UTC 2006

On 4/1/06, Matthew Kaufman <matthew at matthew.at> wrote:

> Forward error correction has its place, but it is no excuse for
> eliminating
> the feedback necessary to perform proper congestion control.

I agree. I suggested getting rid of resends and selective acks via coding,
not ditching congestion control altogether. Coding can get rid of ack
packets that often carry just a tiny bit of information. And it solves his
problem of what resend timeout parameters to pick. We know too little
about Lemon's system to jump to any conclusions about congestion
control - for all I know, it's a point-to-multipoint system with built-in
throttling.

My personal (albeit biased) suggestion is to use amicima's MFP, which gets
> you congestion controlled delivery for both reliable *and* unreliable
> flows,
> among many other features.

Sounds cool, does it work on Linux?

Bob.