[p2p-hackers] Interest based locality and query distribution

Nick Lothian nlothian at educationau.edu.au
Tue Mar 22 22:29:26 UTC 2005

Joe Kraus (the founder of Excite from back when Excite actually had their own search engine) has posted about the distribution of queries on Excite at http://bnoopy.typepad.com/bnoopy/2005/03/the_long_tail_o.html

While it isn't P2P I suspect that the user's behaviour would be similar.

"The most interesting statistic however, was that while the top 10 searches were thousands of times more popular than the average search, these top-10 searches represented only 3% of our total volume. 97% of our traffic came from the "long tail" - queries asked a little over once a day."

Nick