[p2p-hackers] Altnet goes after p2p networks with obvious patent

Bryan Turner bryan.turner at pobox.com
Fri Jan 21 17:43:34 UTC 2005

	Another note regarding content hashing..  I'm reviewing the CFS [1]
paper and it specifically states:

	"CFS authenticates data by naming it with .. content hashes .. The
use of content hashes to securely link together different pieces of data is
due to Merkle [2] .."

	The Merkle reference is 1987, regarding digital signatures of a
document.  Not sure if it suggests using the signature as a handle to the
document, which appears to be the claim of this patent, but the CFS authors
seem to think so.

--Bryan
bryan.turner at cisco.com

[1] http://www.pdos.lcs.mit.edu/papers/cfs:sosp01/cfs_sosp.pdf
[2] Merkle, R. C. A digital signature based on a conventional
    encryption function.  Advances in Cryptology - CRYPTO '87
    (Berlin, 1987), C. Pomerance, Ed., vol. 293 of Lecture
    Notes in Computer Science, Springer-Verlag, pp. 369-378