[p2p-hackers] Altnet goes after p2p networks with obvious patent

Charles Simpson chsimps at glue.umd.edu
Tue Jan 11 21:56:26 UTC 2005

On Jan 11, 2005, at 4:37 PM, Ian Clarke wrote:

> On 11 Jan 2005, at 21:32, Mark Miller wrote:
>> Ian Clarke wrote:
>>> I vaguely recall the last time I researched this that there was
>>> prior art from as early as 1990, I think it was Project Xanadu
>>> (http://xanadu.com/).
>> Yes.
>> http://zgp.org/pipermail/p2p-hackers/2004-March/subject.html#1753
>> especially
>> http://zgp.org/pipermail/p2p-hackers/2004-March/001751.html
>
> I wonder what it takes to meet the standard for prior art for patents
> - and whether any of this would meet that standard?
>
> Ian.

In the United States, prior art is defined in US Code Title 35, 102
(http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/html/uscode35/
usc_sec_35_00000102----000-.html).

I don't know whether any of those meet the standards for prior art as I
don't think any of it was patented - which rules out (b).  The
standards for "known or use by" are sketchy in part (a) and as I am not
a lawyer, I really don't know whether these qualify under that
criteria.

Regards,
Charles