distributed document popularity metrics using amortizable hashcash (Re: [p2p-hackers] BitTorrent measurements / fully decentralizedsystems)

Hal Finney hal at finney.org
Fri Dec 17 06:42:33 UTC 2004

Adam Back writes:
> Three cases A) selecting content, B) downloading content, C) voting on
> content.  Even though it p2p I'll use server and client to mean the
> usual things.  (A peer is just one or the other, or both in a given
> transaction).
> [...]
> C) voting on content:
>
> during playback (implicit) or after explicit voting action the peer
> votes on the content.  We might have positive as well as negative
> votes, tracked separately, just add up their +ve and -ve normalized
> value to reach the overall value.

Would this require an extra communications step, to reconnect back into
the network and provide feedback to the server(s) that you downloaded
the song from?

> I tend to think it would be more effective to note vote directly on
> content but vote on the reputation of pseudonymous content raters.

If we stick to the idea of voting on the content, are there some naming
issues?  I think the hashcash stamp would have to identify the content
in some way.  It's not clear to me if this should be by filename, by
an internal title (e.g. from an MP3 tag), or by a crypto hash of the
file itself.  Maybe some combination of these?

Hal Finney