[p2p-hackers] Why BitTorrent is Important and SwarmStream is Doomed

Martin Peck coderman at gmail.com
Thu Dec 16 22:22:15 UTC 2004

On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 12:22:18 -0800, Brad Neuberg <bkn3 at columbia.edu> wrote:
> Hi folks.  I've written up a short analysis on my blog of SwarmStream and
> BitTorrent titled "Why BitTorrent is Important and SwarmStream is
> Doomed".  I am interested in people's feedback and/or criticism of these
> ideas.

I think the two have very different problem domains.  I can foresee
both thriving in their respective environments.

SwarmStream is more about accelerating content from authoritative
servers via connection aggregation and intelligent caching.

BitTorrent pertains more to decentralized distribution (no
authoritative server, but instead a metadata descriptor with secure
identifiers) using tit for tat to encourage cooperative behavior.

While you could use one for the other purpose and vice versa, I expect
each will be heading in more distinct directions over time rather than
merging into the same problem space.

And Justin touches on a legitimacy issue which will further play into
the distinction between the two: SwarmStream is very much an
enterprise solution; commercially supported, well managed with
authoritative server configurations, etc.  BitTorrent is often
portrayed as a rogue piracy tool (in addition to its legitimate uses)
which alienates the SwarmStream market to some degree.

For these reasons I see them both serving the needs of their
respective targets without cannibalizing each others user base.