[p2p-hackers] P2P In 15 Lines of Code

Ian Clarke ian at locut.us
Thu Dec 16 13:39:42 UTC 2004

I haven't examined this too closely yet, but from the site:

"The program creates a small-world network, which might be used by a
group of friends or business associates to share files."

I am wondering whether this is really a small-world network in the
Kleinberg sense
(http://citeseer.ist.psu.edu/kleinberg00smallworld.html), in which case
it would be impressive and should be very scalable.

My suspicion is that it is not, given that it appears to be a
client-server system, given that they specifically state that it won't
scale, and given that searches are conducted with regexps (where as
conventional small-world based DHTs search for specific large numbers,
not approximate regexps).

As an aside, to the latter point, we have conducted research[1] where
we have successfully generalised Freenet's search algorithm, which
appears[2] to form a small world network (although more complicated
than that modelled by Kleinberg), to search for "fuzzy" data rather
than specific hashes as with a DHT.

Having said that I think it is very unlikely that this is what they are
doing here.

Ian.

[1] See http://freenetproject.org/kronfol_final_thesis.pdf

[2] Expect to see a paper in the next few months providing mathematical
     support for this conjecture

Founder, The Freenet Project	http://freenetproject.org/
CEO, Cematics Ltd				http://cematics.com/
Personal Blog					http://locut.us/~ian/blog/