[p2p-hackers] Kademlia

Enzo Michelangeli em at em.no-ip.com
Thu Dec 16 01:59:06 UTC 2004

My KadC library allows to access thye Kademlia-based DHT of
Overnet/eDonkey1.0:

http://kadc.sourceforge.net/

At the moment I haven't yet implemented the part that allows to
participate to the DHT rather than simply using it, but it shouldn't be
very hard to do. In other words, KadC in its present state allows to write
applications behaving as Overnet "leaf nodes", rather than
"supernodes/ultrapeers" (in Kazaa/Gnutella parlance). That's not very
limiting because the number of Overnet/eDonkey peers online at any given
time is around several hundred thousand (it's only a bit selfish :-) ):
the application can freely publish and retrieve small dictionaries in the
format that Overnet uses for metadata, but containing arbitrary data. If
the index is properly chosen, no collision will ever occur with DHT
records used for filesharing purposes.

Enzo