[p2p-hackers] BitTorrent measurements / fully decentralizedsystems

Martin Peck coderman at gmail.com
Wed Dec 15 18:58:53 UTC 2004

On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 10:34:00 -0800, Martin Peck <coderman at gmail.com> wrote:
> Rating resources in this manner allows you to tie the feedback to peer
> identities (this peer has given me many good resources, while this
> other one has provided only crap) as well as recommender systems
> (these are my top favorite files, you might like them too).

Another useful application of implicit feedback is for cache control.
Aggressive caching is very important for decentralized networks, and
"knowing when to forget" is a tricky problem.

This is well described in the Elephant File System paper:
http://citeseer.ist.psu.edu/santry99deciding.html

The application of these techniques is well suited to other forms of
cached information, metadata, indexes, etc.