[p2p-hackers] BitTorrent measurements / fully decentralized systems

Martin Peck coderman at gmail.com
Wed Dec 15 18:19:07 UTC 2004

On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 01:41:55 -0800, Adam Lydick
<list-p2phack at ruffledpenguin.org> wrote:
> Perhaps not the best possible world, but why not a decentralized model
> that is enhanced by (but does not require) a centralized authority? This
> seems to work fairly well for a number of existing networks.

It is usually very easy to move from a fully decentralized model to a
more centralized one.  It is much harder to go the other direction.

My point is that you need a fully decentralized system to avoid the
weaknesses / vulnerabilities associated with a central identity server
(CA, single signon, social net sites, etc).  I agree that it would be
useful to support other systems as well, though they would not be the
base upon which identity is built, but rather augment the
decentralized identities within the system...