[p2p-hackers] BitTorrent measurements / fully decentralizedsystems

Enzo Michelangeli em at em.no-ip.com
Wed Dec 15 10:03:43 UTC 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Adam Lydick" <list-p2phack at ruffledpenguin.org>
To: "Peer-to-peer development." <p2p-hackers at zgp.org>
Sent: Wednesday, December 15, 2004 5:41 PM

> On Tue, 2004-12-14 at 22:11 -0800, coderman wrote:
>
> <snip>
>

> > We have been talking about this in another channel and a few
> > thoughts were discussed.
> >
> > There has been much talk of private social group networks / social
> > networks with file sharing.  These services are usually centralized
> > and thus constrained by contributory / vicarious liability concerns:
> > they would have to police the networks.  Same set of issues.
> >
> > [or some like to claim decentralization while relying on a trusted
> >  certificate authority or other index.  heh]
> >
> > The decentralized variants have their own set of problems, mainly
> > identity and reputation as well as discovery / search.
>
> <snip>
>
> Perhaps not the best possible world, but why not a decentralized model
> that is enhanced by (but does not require) a centralized authority? This
> seems to work fairly well for a number of existing networks.
>
> If your trusted authority of choice is subjected to legal or technical
> DoS attacks you can always fall back to another option:
>
> * durable identifiers that you've already acquired
> * an alternate "central" (federated might be a better term) authority
> * exchange durable, attack resistant identifiers (eg: content hash) over
> existing social channels (email sigs, blogs, IM, SMS, ...)
> * keyword (or other) search without trust metrics (at least the network
> still works, you just might have a higher signal:noise for certain
> queries)

Why not use pseudonymous digital signatures on both file content's hash
and metadata? The signing "moderators", self-appointed and identified only
by the fingerprint of their public key, could be rated by reputation, with
a subjective score that each user would adjust every time a endorsement is
found to be truthful or misleading.

Enzo