[p2p-hackers] Skype's "Global Index"

Brad Neuberg bkn3 at columbia.edu
Tue Dec 14 20:09:37 UTC 2004

Skype claims to have a scalable, secure, globally distributed directory of
Skype phone numbers they call the "Global Index".  From the Skype FAQ:

"P2P network technologies used by file-sharing applications would be almost
suitable for decentralizing [phonebook directories], but those networks are
fragmented in nature – a search does not reach all nodes in the network.
Clearly, in order to deliver high quality telephony with the lowest
possible costs, a third generation of P2P technology (“3G P2P”), or Global
Index (GI) was a necessary development and represents yet another paradigm
shift in the notion of scaleable networks. The Global Index technology is a
multi-tiered network where supernodes communicate in such a way that every
node in the network has full knowledge of all available users and resources
with minimal latency. "

Does anyone know what techniques Skype might be using to actually achieve this?

Brad Neuberg, bkn3 at columbia.edu
Senior Software Engineer, Rojo Networks
Weblog: http://www.codinginparadise.org

Check out Rojo, an RSS and Atom news aggregator that I work on.  Visit
http://rojo.com for more info. Feel free to ask me for an invite!

Rojo is Hiring!  If you're interested in RSS, Weblogs, Social Networking,
Java, Open Source, etc... then come work with us at Rojo.  If you recommend
someone and we hire them you'll get a free iPod!  See
http://www.rojonetworks.com/JobsAtRojo.html.