[p2p-hackers] Automatic reputation systems for P2P security?

paul at nmedia.net paul at nmedia.net
Thu Dec 9 00:42:50 UTC 2004

I've seen several papers referencing advogato, among other things, and it seems
like reputation/trust systems solve a lot of problems related to P2P misbehavior. For
instance, clients can track other clients that send out bogus files, that report a file
and then refuse to share it, that create bogus queueing data (big problem with
Emule/Edonkey networks), that might outright lie or otherwise cheat/steal and
attempt to disrupt a Chord network, etc.

It seems that scalar trust systems aren't going to do it because it is fairly easy to
cheat by creating fake nodes, etc. So the real trick is the "group" or vector trust
metrics.

However, that may solve the theoretical issue but I haven't seen any real examples
of implementation. For instance, most of the papers referring to Advogato and
Advogato-like systems are based on the client-server model. And to implement trust
networks as it appears that they are done now, the shear amount of data necessary
makes them pretty darned unwieldy.

In addition, it is relatively well known (but time/bandwidth consuming) for a node to
detect misbehaving nodes. But translating that to a trust metric, or even how to
handle that on an implementation level has not been published anywhere.

SO...is there anything out there on this sort of idea, especially on the
implementation side? I mean...if this can be done in reality, then it has a whole host
of uses even just in the small world of file sharing networks. As it stands, any trust
metric that's been tried so far is easily tampered with by the clients.