[p2p-hackers] Sloppy Chord

Zooko zooko at zooko.com
Mon Mar 31 06:43:02 UTC 2003

 Kevin Atkinson <kevin at atkinson.dhs.org> writes:

> What advantages does Chord[1] offer over Pastry[2]?  I chose Pastry over
> chord because of it simplicity, and the because of the so called "free
> choice" property.

Heh heh.  Simplicity is funny.  I believe that Brandon Wiley prefers Chord over
Pastry because of its simplicity.  ;-)

I prefer Pastry-or-Kademlia over Chord because of the free choice and, to a
lesser extent, because of the symmetric metric.

I prefer Kademlia over Pastry because of the simplicity of exposition and
argument in the original Kademlia paper.  Also Kademlia has a simplification
over Pastry (no "leaf sets"), but I suspect that this simplification might come
with a cost in reduced robustness.

> In fact my network DistribNet[3], is essentially implementing the ideas of
> Coral[4] but on top of Pastry rather than chord.

Wow!  I need to read about Coral now.  I haven't read the iptps03 proceedings
yet, so I am obviously behind the times now.

The Coral page says it will do primarily Kademlia, and also Chord.

Regards,

Zooko

http://zooko.com/
         ^-- under re-construction: some new stuff, some broken links