[p2p-hackers] Sloppy Chord

Kevin Atkinson kevin at atkinson.dhs.org
Mon Mar 31 00:31:02 UTC 2003

What advantages does Chord[1] offer over Pastry[2]?  I chose Pastry over
chord because of it simplicity, and the because of the so called "free
choice" property.

In fact my network DistribNet[3], is essentially implementing the ideas of
Coral[4] but on top of Pastry rather than chord.  In particular nodes can
freely join and leave the network without requiring any movement of keys.
The only thing a network has to do when it joins is to synchronize its
routing table with the network.  Nothing has to be done for a node to
leave the network.

So my question is: What advantages does Chord offer performance wise over
Pastry?

[1] Chord: http://www.pdos.lcs.mit.edu/chord/
[2] Pastry: http://research.microsoft.com/antr/Pastry/pubs.htm
[3] DistribNet: http://distribnet.sourceforge.net/