[p2p-hackers] Stop Palladium and TCPA Now!

ingo at fargonauten.de ingo at fargonauten.de
Mon Feb 3 14:25:02 UTC 2003

On Mon, Feb 03, 2003 at 01:27:23PM -0800, Hal Finney wrote:
> Just as a data point, I personally have a very negative reaction to
> substituting name-calling for argument, and probably at least a few
> other people do, too.

If you try to tell me that a steak is "well done", when its really
still bloody on the inside and I call it "english" instead, is that
calling names?  I don't think so.

Given what the TCPA does, do you really want say that "trusted" is a
correct description?  "Trusted Computing" used to mean something
/entirely/ different.

Even if you don't agree, discussion on the interpretation is perfectly
legitimate, IMHO.  Its not as if you're calling them morons or
anything like that.  Changing the expansion of 'TCPA' is just making
it very obvious that 'trusted' isn't deemed to be really appropriate
here.

> And if Microsoft were sure this were the right way to go, couldn't they
> do much of this already?  Remove the "text mode" save option from Word,
> for example, so that you could only save in modes that Word users could
> read?  They could FORCE everyone to buy Word!  Given your model of how
> the world works, why hasn't Microsoft done this?

Please!

Thats a nice example, but it doesn't really fit here.  There's no
reason at all to remove that functionality, so the removal would be
seen clearly for what it is, a restriction of users freedoms.

OTOH, the media industry is hard at work telling everyone that copying
is immoral anyway, even for personal use.  I recently attended a
lecture by a well known german hypertext researcher (Dr. Rainer
Kuhlen, from Konstanz) who talked about freedom of research and the
value of interchanging ideas and works.  After his very well reasoned
and /extremely/ polite lecture was over, he was accused of trying to
defend "theft" by the assembled media industry representatives.

/Thats/ what I call stifling a discussion and thats why the discussion
about the removal of functions from media applications is such a
different matter and the 'Word' comparison not really fitting.

Microsoft is just a corporation.  Going the easy way is a very
rational business choice, especially if litigation is lurking on the
other way.  If the easy way is to comply with what the media industry
is asking, they will do it, irregardless of anyone elses opinions.
Pointing that out is not calling Microsoft evil, its just stating the
obvious.

--
		  http://fargonauten.de/ingo

PGP: 	3187 4DEC 47E6 1B1E 6F4F  57D4 CD90 C164 34AD CE5B