[p2p-hackers] Re: CAKE = Key Addressed Crypto Encapsulation (Eric M. Hopper)

Bryan Ford baford at mit.edu
Thu Aug 21 09:35:02 UTC 2003

Eric wrote:
> I have an idea that's been wandering around in my head for awhile, [...]
>
> The basic idea is simple.  Build a lowish level protocol that lives
> somewhere between IP and sockets that has every message being addressed
> to a public key.
>[...]

Sounds very closely related, at least in terms of basic goals, to something
I've been working on for a little while too.  We should compare notes.

Basically, I'm also trying to create a new protocol between IP and sockets
that provides secure end-to-end communication using cryptographic node
identities rather than topology-sensitive addresses.  But the protocol I'm
developing can also serve as a "real" network-layer routing protocol as well,
operating both within and beyond the scope of IP to provide seemless
reachability across non-IP-based ad hoc wireless networks and such in
addition to the traditional "wired" Internet.  I'm tentatively calling it
"Unmanaged Internet Protocol" (UIP); a brief description in the form of a
position paper is available here:

	http://www.brynosaurus.com/pub/os/uip-case.pdf

I also have a prototype implementation underway but not yet functional; in the
interest of openness I'm keeping the source code and other preliminary nodes
on sourceforge, though don't expect to see anything particularly interesting
or comprehensible there just yet... :)

	http://sourceforge.net/projects/uip