[p2p-hackers] Re: human-oriented base-32 encoding

Raphael Manfredi Raphael_Manfredi at pobox.com
Fri Nov 1 08:01:01 UTC 2002

Quoting p2p-hackers at zgp.org from ml.p2p.hackers:
:This is the same alphabet used the Internet Draft, which I refer to in my
:document.  I think my alphabet has better resistance to transcription errors,
:and I think that this feature is more valuable to me than sharing an encoding
:with Gnutella is.

Really?  What is the value of this base32 encoding then:

	ABCDEFGHIJKLMNPQRSTUWXYZ345678ABC

When you see:

	/uri-res/N2R?urn:sha1:ABCDEFGHIJKLMNPQRSTUWXYZ345678ABC

you better know the alphabet used to be able to determine the SHA1 digest
correctly.  And all the people producing those URLs have better use the
SAME alphabet.

What can be more important than that?

Raphael