[p2p-hackers] Everything as a file in p2p

Gordon Mohr gojomo at usa.net
Tue Jul 16 00:54:01 UTC 2002

I love content-hashes as URI identifiers, but you're right, they
don't cover everything, like streams, series/events, or resources
that may change in place.

One of the best ideas in Freenet is the creation of content-keys
(ie URIs) which mean "this name given by this principal (ie public
key)". You can think of them like HTTP URLs where the "naming
authority" is a key rather than a IP/DNS name. I think they're
called Key-Signed-Keys, KSKs, but I could be getting the
terminology wrong.

They are the perfect complement to locationless content-hash
names: they are locationless names for dynamic content with
some measure of controlling-authority stability.

I think someone should generalize the freenet:KSK approach to
be a real URN type, independent of any one P2P system, so that
even if Freenet goes nowhere, this concept lives & grows on
its own as it deserves to.

Or is there already such an URN type? I haven't run across one
yet.

Perhaps it could look something like:

   urn:kau://<key-identifier>/<assigned-name>

"kau" for "Key AUthority". The key-identifier should support
parameterizable public-key algorithms.

Resolvers would return the most-recent resource they can find
which has an accompanying signed binding from <key-identifier>
asserting name <assigned-name>.

The name-assertion signed-bindings would be roughly tuples of:

   name
   public-key
   timestamp
   content-hash
   signature(name, timestamp, content-hash)

- Gojomo
Gordon Mohr <gojomo@ . . . At Bitzi, people cooperate to identify, rate,
bitzi.com> Bitzi CTO . . . describe and discover files of every kind.
_ http://bitzi.com _ . . . Bitzi knows bits -- because you teach it!