[p2p-hackers] part 2: proxying and introduction: the two fundamental operations of emergent networks

Zooko zooko at zooko.com
Sun Sep 16 12:08:01 UTC 2001

following up to my own post:

 I, Zooko, wrote:

> P.P.S.  I don't know that much about Freenet, and it probably already has some
> transitive introduction features, but the Freenet people have not discussed it
> in terms of "Proxying and Introduction: The Two Fundamental Network Operations"
> before now as far as I know.

I got a nice description from Adam Langley on IRC (irc.openprojects.net,
channel #infoanarchy, founded by infoanarchy.org), of Freenet's transitive
introduction mechanism.  It sounds typically elegant, and I'm sure we are all
eager to know how it behaves emergently.

Right now I'm worrying about Original Introduction -- how do you get new nodes
added to the network for the first time, if your centralized node list, CGI
script, or Meta Tracker, is unavailable?

The best answer I can come up with is that they talk to one of their friends
who is already in the network and then they type in the IP address and port
number of that friend's node.

Regards,

Zooko