[linux-elitists] December 31 - Deadline for DMCA Agent Designation

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Fri Nov 10 12:55:34 PST 2017

Quoting Marcia K Wilbur (aicra at faqlinux.com):

> So, December 31 is the deadline for DMCA agent designations.

As a huge improvement over the old process, it can be done completely
online and costs only US $6.

> The expired designation will result in an invalid agent designation
> and not qualify for safe harbors under the DMCA.

Exactly.  To qualify for 17 U.S.C. section 512(c)(3) safe harbour,
service providers must designate a registered agent at US Copyright
Office's Register of Copyrights.

In case anyone is unclear about why, if you are a service provider
(as I am, operating mailing lists and Web site) it's crucial to qualify
for the safe harbour against legal liability and being assessed monetary
damags for copyright infringement committed on your service, see:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Online_Copyright_Infringement_Liability_Limitation_Act