Don Marti dmarti at zgp.org
Wed May 25 21:52:00 PDT 2016

begin Tomasz Rola quotation of Wed, May 25, 2016 at 01:00:54AM +0200:

> Somehow this thread is sliding into minutiae. Perhaps my
> fault. Anyway, my original attempt was to hint that percentage of
> users who are going to enjoy systemd's specific functionality is
> rather small and with such assumption (which could be wrong) the
> universal adoption of systemd looks strange to me.

Think about it not from the point of users, but from
the point of view of developers of server software.
Does systemd mean that they can spend more time
on application-specific functionality and less on
boilerplate service management code?  You're not just
saving lines of shell in an init script.

  http://0pointer.de./public/systemd-man/daemon.html#New-Style%20Daemons

> As I have written already in one previous mail, any discussion of the
> subject is not going to revert systemd's adoption. It may look a bit
> like Linux has been hijacked, but since so many decision makers went
> for it, I think they should have it. So far no argument convinced me
> enough to join the welcoming crowd, but investigation has been fun (it
> usually is).

It's more of a do-ocracy here, with the decisions
being made by each individual package that either goes
systemd-dependent or maintains support for running
under other init systems.

The case for supporting non-systemd init systems
is going to have to be made one package at a time.
(I don't see a reason to do this, because systemd
is under LGPL, which is a perfectly fine license.
It's not like making Flash-free versions of web sites,
or podcasts in Ogg Vorbis (when does that MP3 patent
really expire anyway?) or all that stuff.)

> BTW, someone tried to show me he sent request in my name to
> unsubscribe me (knowing it was not going to succeed but I would
> receive notice from mail server). The usual ip from France involved,
> 92.103.69.51. Assuming same person in all cases, he not only targets
> supporters of systemd but also investigators :-). I am thrilled.

Probably just going after list members in general.
Anyone else dealt with this problem on a Mailman list?

--
Don Marti <dmarti at zgp.org>
http://zgp.org/~dmarti/