Greg KH greg at kroah.com
Wed May 25 21:47:03 PDT 2016

On Wed, May 25, 2016 at 12:01:14AM -0700, Ed Carp wrote:
> But systemd doesn't afford one that choice, and that's my point. Even
> though systemd was supposedly designed as a "drop-in replacement" for
> init.d and the like, can it be pulled out and OpenRC or something else
> be dropped in? Can I switch as easily as I can switch window managers?

So you want a distro to provide you the choice of different init
systems, that's different.  And a really difficult thing to do, so much
so that almost no one wants to try to maintain such a mess.  Gentoo does
this right now, and it's a valiant effort to keep it all working
properly.

But you can't tell someone else what to create, or work on, so if the
distro you know and love decides to change, well, either you need to
accept that, or change distros.  That's _your_ choice to make, the
distro has to make their own choice in what they will support, they
can't just offer up all choices, that makes a total mess.

Or, even better, you can make the choice that the Subject: here asks
for, fork the distro and do your own thing.  That's why we have so many
distros, because people want to do different things.  No one is stopping
anyone from forking Jessie and maintaining the old init systems.  The
fact that almost no one is doing that work, might be a sign that maybe
it's not anything that anyone wants to do :)

Have fun!

greg k-h