D. Joe deejoe at etrumeus.com
Wed May 25 20:22:56 PDT 2016

On Wed, May 25, 2016 at 05:45:55PM -0400, Ruben Safir wrote:
> On Wed, May 25, 2016 at 12:30:52PM +0000, D. Joe wrote:

> Imagine this.  You guys

Imagine this: You can tell whether someone just might, possibly, agree with
some things you've said.

> > So glad to see
> > we're keeping it real, here.
> >

> What is REAL.  Real is that monday morning you run an update and find that your entire OS has
> been replaced with a different one.  Boy that can really make for a bad week.

Good thing we have backups, eh?

> > *Computing* is fundamentally about choice, though: Read a bit, choose
> > whether and which bit to write.  Repeat...until the entire tapestry of our
> > increasingly computing-controlled world has been woven.
> >
> > The extent to which Linux is about computing, now, that's the tricky
> > question.
> >
> > Maybe it's about joining the effort to sell a fantasy, in which a service or
> > appliance does exactly and only what we want, when we want it, how we want
> > it, pay no attention to the Turing machine behind the curtain. (Who "we"
> > are also left as an exercise for the reader.)
> >

> Right a thesis because this is gibberish.  The fact that it is a Turing machine, and
> I'm not certain that is even the case any longer in the classical sense, has nothing
> to do with individual control of a system.  Individual control is a MUST.

Which individual? The one that just fed your machine an exploit?

http://langsec.org/occupy/

> > We must also ask ourselves these fundamental and obviously intrinsically
> > interlinked questions: "Do you ... hate handicap people?  Do you hate
> > people who do not speak English?  Do you only care about your own use-case
> > for GDM?"
> >

> I don't work for a cooperate entity and I don't need to ask this at all, not that it
> has any direct relationship to systemd.

OK, then how about the question "can I recognize sarcasm?"?

--
Joe   On ceding power to tech companies: http://xkcd.com/1118/
man screen | grep -A2 weird