D. Joe deejoe at etrumeus.com
Wed May 25 05:30:52 PDT 2016

On Tue, May 24, 2016 at 11:37:35PM -0700, Greg KH wrote:
> On Tue, May 24, 2016 at 11:10:34PM -0700, Ed Carp wrote:
> > The problem I have with this entire discussion is that Linux has
> > always stood for choice.
>
> Never been true, sorry:
> 	http://www.islinuxaboutchoice.com/

Quite right. Linux is just a kernel. It isn't about choice. So glad to see
we're keeping it real, here.

*Computing* is fundamentally about choice, though: Read a bit, choose
whether and which bit to write.  Repeat...until the entire tapestry of our
increasingly computing-controlled world has been woven.

The extent to which Linux is about computing, now, that's the tricky
question.

Maybe it's about joining the effort to sell a fantasy, in which a service or
appliance does exactly and only what we want, when we want it, how we want
it, pay no attention to the Turing machine behind the curtain. (Who "we"
are also left as an exercise for the reader.)

We must also ask ourselves these fundamental and obviously intrinsically
interlinked questions: "Do you ... hate handicap people?  Do you hate
people who do not speak English?  Do you only care about your own use-case
for GDM?"

  https://youtu.be/ZTdUmlGxVo0?t=1379

But I see we've already been drawing from that question pool, so, carry on.

--
Joe   On ceding power to tech companies: http://xkcd.com/1118/
man screen | grep -A1 weird