Ed Carp erc at pobox.com
Wed May 25 00:01:14 PDT 2016

On 5/24/16, Greg KH <greg at kroah.com> wrote:
> On Tue, May 24, 2016 at 11:10:34PM -0700, Ed Carp wrote:
>> The problem I have with this entire discussion is that Linux has
>> always stood for choice.
>
> Never been true, sorry:
> 	http://www.islinuxaboutchoice.com/

The problem with this argument is that it's simply not true. For
example, if you don't like GNOME, you have a huge number of choices,
all doing the same thing in different ways, offering different
features. I can switch between window managers easily, and if I use
XFCE, it doesn't mean that everyone else either uses XFCE or is some
sort of Luddite idiot, and it doesn't mean that there are multiple
points of failure, because they're all independent of each other by
design

But systemd doesn't afford one that choice, and that's my point. Even
though systemd was supposedly designed as a "drop-in replacement" for
init.d and the like, can it be pulled out and OpenRC or something else
be dropped in? Can I switch as easily as I can switch window managers?