Ed Carp erc at pobox.com
Tue May 24 23:10:34 PDT 2016

Disclaimer: I've been writing software for 40 years. I started out
with Linux in late 1991 or early 1992 as one for the first developers
working on Linux. I'm currently working in a large (1200+ servers)
shop running pretty much 100% RHEL.

The problem I have with this entire discussion is that Linux has
always stood for choice. Disregarding GregH's childish rants and
name-calling (which is easy to do), we are swiftly heading into a
world where systemd is forced upon the Linux world, with no other
choice, no other alternative. If I want to stick with init.d, I will
soon have no choice - major players like RedHat have already moved to
systemd in RHEL7, so if I want a job in a RHEL shop, I have to know
systemd, and the rest of the Linux world (or a lot of it) is going
down that path also.

Is systemd better or worse than what has come before? That's
completely beside the point. In a larger sense, it's not even about
systemd. What IS the point is that the freedom of choice is
disappearing, pushed by a bunch of loudmouth control freaks who want
to force the Linux world into doing things their way - and if we don't
agree, trying to browbeat us into submission with insults,
name-calling and clever put-downs. Really? Is that all you have to
offer? In fact, I wouldn't mind seeing systemd/init.d as an
install-time choice, as long as systemd keeps it's damned code out of
the kernel (where it doesn't belong anyway), but the systemd fanboys
are arrogantly pushing the "my way or the highway" route. For those,
see the link to the image at the end of this email.

So much for freedom of choice.

https://regmedia.co.uk/2015/07/08/linus_torvalds_flips_the_bird.jpg