Tomasz Rola rtomek at ceti.pl
Tue May 24 16:00:54 PDT 2016

On Tue, May 24, 2016 at 10:56:04AM -0400, Rik van Riel wrote:
> On Tue, 2016-05-24 at 15:24 +0200, Tomasz Rola wrote:
> > On Mon, May 23, 2016 at 09:19:00PM -0400, Rik van Riel wrote:

[...]
> > OTOH, if I can get 80% of functionality with one liner, next 10% with
> > 20 lines and the remaining 10% would require that I rebuild the whole
> > way I use my system, then this last 10% is probably not worth the
> > effort.
>
> Not worth it for you, probably.
>
> However, when a distro has hundreds of thousands,
> or even millions of users, there will be significant
> number of users who do rely on the last 20% of
> functionality.
>
> Their needs are no less legitimate than yours.

Certainly.

Somehow this thread is sliding into minutiae. Perhaps my
fault. Anyway, my original attempt was to hint that percentage of
users who are going to enjoy systemd's specific functionality is
rather small and with such assumption (which could be wrong) the
universal adoption of systemd looks strange to me.

Or rather: certain group would welcome systemd and some other group
would reject it. Both groups seem to be (small, really small)
minorities to me. The majority was probably not interested or maybe
even did not notice the change. I belong neither to this majority nor
to the welcoming crowd, but instead of rejecting I prefer to
investigate.

As I have written already in one previous mail, any discussion of the
subject is not going to revert systemd's adoption. It may look a bit
like Linux has been hijacked, but since so many decision makers went
for it, I think they should have it. So far no argument convinced me
enough to join the welcoming crowd, but investigation has been fun (it
usually is).

BTW, someone tried to show me he sent request in my name to
unsubscribe me (knowing it was not going to succeed but I would
receive notice from mail server). The usual ip from France involved,
92.103.69.51. Assuming same person in all cases, he not only targets
supporters of systemd but also investigators :-). I am thrilled.

--
Regards,
Tomasz Rola