Rik van Riel riel at surriel.com
Tue May 24 07:56:04 PDT 2016

On Tue, 2016-05-24 at 15:24 +0200, Tomasz Rola wrote:
> On Mon, May 23, 2016 at 09:19:00PM -0400, Rik van Riel wrote:
>> I think there is intetesting pattern among systemd supporters:
>
> 1. strong dislike of scripting, in particular shell scripting, as it
> seems
>
> 2. fascination with short boot time

I did not mention either of those, nor do I really
care about them.

> > For one, it has a reliable way of detecting whether
> > daemons are still running, more so than the old style
> > shell scripts ever could.  It relies on cgroups to
> > do this.
>
> Is it so? Better than this:

> Out of curiosity, in what way systemd improves upon
> my script?

Systemd can manage multiple instances of the same
daemon, which is quite common especially when used
in conjunction with containers.

> OTOH, if I can get 80% of functionality with one liner, next 10% with
> 20 lines and the remaining 10% would require that I rebuild the whole
> way I use my system, then this last 10% is probably not worth the
> effort.

Not worth it for you, probably.

However, when a distro has hundreds of thousands,
or even millions of users, there will be significant
number of users who do rely on the last 20% of
functionality.

Their needs are no less legitimate than yours.

> Still, cannot see how systemd would make *my* life so much better
> that
> I would want to abandon whatever I am using right now.

Nobody seems to be telling you to stop abandoning
your scripts.

--
All rights reversed